Willtown Bluff

Also known as: Wilton, New London
SW of Adams Run at end of CR 55 on banks of S. Edisto River, Adams Run, South Carolina

Photos 

Willtown Bluff, Willtown Plantation House

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Willtown was the second planned town to be established after the relocation of Charleston in 1682. It was one of two South Carolina precincts prior to the 1706 Church Act, and after that date served as a local governmental center (polling place, court of pleas, magistrate court). It was militarily important in the protection of the frontier and served as a regional commercial center. Willtown was located on a 25 foot high bluff overlooking the South Edisto River, called the Pon Pon River in the 18th century. The town site is almost all level, its lawn interspersed with large oak trees. Only the northern section is wooded and three early-nineteenth century buildings are located on the cleared portion: the ca. 1836 Parsonage, the ca. 1820 Willtown Plantation House, and the remains of a single column of the ca. 1836 Episcopal church. Unexposed remains are of a colonial village thought to have had 80 houses. The town was divided into 62 blocks with most having four one-acre lots. There were 17 streets with blocks set aside for an Episcopal church and a school. A market and a town garden were also provided locations. Listed in the National Register January 8, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 8, 1974
Reference number
74001830
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Commerce; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Village site; Single dwelling; Fortification; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749
Significant years
1697; 1704; 1714
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • January 25, 2016: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates"
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources