Battery Gadsden

2017 Ion Ave., Sullivan's Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Battery Gadsden, Battery Line

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Battery Gadsden constructed 1903-1904 by G.P. Howell, is one of a series of batteries stretching from Fort Moultrie on the west to the eastern end of Sullivanís Island. Charleston Harbor has always had some form of fixed harbor defense beginning with Fort Johnson in 1708 and culminating with the construction of these batteries in the fortification of Sullivanís Island at the mouth of Charleston Harbor. This four, six inch gun, coastal defense battery was built to protect Charleston Harbor. The battery, approximately 377 feet long and 84 feet wide, consists of two sections: the glacis and the armament complex. The glacis is a relatively smooth, slightly sloping area on the sides and front of the battery which protects the armament complex from bombardment. The armament complex consists of four recessed disappearing gun platforms or foundations, the loading platforms, ammunition hoists (one per gun) and various staircases or ramps for access. The front or ocean side of the battery is approximately 7 feet high. Walls and ceilings are of concrete. All guns and machinery were removed in 1917. Listed in the National Register June 25, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1974
Reference number
74001842
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1903; 1904; 1917

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"

Sources