Battery Wilkes

St Andrew's Parish, Longbranch Estates, South Carolina

Photo 

Parapet and Magazine

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Battery Wilkes was constructed in 1862 to protect the crossing of the road and the Charleston-Savannah railroad at Long Branch Creek. As a part of the western exterior defense line, there were originally two additional positions bearing the same name, one on the south side of the road and another bearing on the Stono River. Battery Wilkes, named after the owner of the site where it was constructed, was still armed at the close of the war. The battery is important as one of two St. Andrew’s Parish batteries which remain largely unaltered and represent the best examples of the exterior defense line defending the western approach to Charleston. This small earthwork has a parapet of approximately ten feet with two gun platforms and a powder magazine about fifteen feet in height. Although originally an enclosed battery, Battery Wilkes is now in a residential yard and has undergone some alteration. A driveway now runs between the parapet and the magazine, and a low brick retaining wall spans the front face of the parapet. Listed in the National Register October 21, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 21, 1982
Reference number
82001516
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1862

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Related landmarks 

Sources