Battery Cheves

James Island, Fort Johnson Estates, South Carolina

Photo 

Battery Cheves, Parapet

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Battery Cheves was built in 1863 and named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, Confederate engineer killed at Morris Island in 1863. This battery was designed to protect the area between Fort Johnson and Battery Haskell from amphibious attack coming from Morris Island. Cheves mounted two pieces of heavy artillery at the time of capture. Battery Cheves is located on the southeastern shore of James Island in a suburban residential area. A simple open battery with four gun emplacements, Battery Cheves is about 280 feel long with a parapet 12.5 feet high and a powder magazine about 15 feet high. The total position is approximately 240 feet deep. It is currently completely obscured by a dense growth of vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82003841
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Underwater
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1863

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 9, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources