Fort Palmetto

Christ Church Parish, Hamlin Sound, South Carolina

Photo 

Fort Palmetto, Parapet from Marsh

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Fort Palmetto was the easternmost position in the Christ Church Parish line of defense. Commanding Hamlin Sound and Dewee’s Creek, it was designed to deny Union naval support of any attack on Charleston from the northeastern side. The Christ Church line was laid out by Robert E. Lee and constructed in late 1861. The importance of Fort Palmetto may be measured by the fact that the position mounted one nine-inch gun and two rifled thirty-two pounders at capture, while the remainder of the line was unarmed. The fort is a three-gun battery approximately 160 feet long and 80 feet deep. Although a simple open battery, Fort Palmetto has unusually high relief with a parapet approximately 15 feet in height and a magazine approximately 25 feet above the surrounding terrain. These elevations provided better visibility over Hamlin Sound in addition to presenting a more formidable appearance. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82003842
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Underwater
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1861

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources