Unnamed Battery

St. Andrew, Shaftsbury Townhouses, South Carolina

Photo 

Ditch and Parapet

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The unnamed battery on Long Branch Creek was probably erected at the same time as nearby Battery Wilkes, 1862, although there is no specific documentation. It was designed as part of the exterior western lines running from the Stono River on the south to the Ashley River at Bee’s Ferry on the north. At this particular location the defense was made against an infantry attack across St. Andrew’s Parish between Battery Wilkes and Battery Magwood (destroyed). Although no attack was ever mounted and this battery was not garrisoned full time, the position was armed at the close of the war. With its sister position, Battery Wilkes, the unnamed Long Branch Creek battery is important as an extant portion of the line protecting the western approach to Charleston. This small earth redoubt measures approximately 160 feet by 160 feet with a 10-foot parapet and a 15-foot powder magazine. It was originally designed for two guns. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82003846
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Underwater
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1862

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Related landmarks 

Sources