Battery No. 1

Riverland Dr., James Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Battery #1, Magazine

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Battery Number 1 was constructed as an element of the James Island Siege Line in 1863. Under the direction of General P.G.T. Beauregard, the new James Island Siege Line replaced the long, poorly designed defensive line created by General Pemberton. This position is important since it was a key in the defense of James Island and was the scene of heavy fighting. At the close of the war, Battery Number 1 was armed with five pieces of artillery. The battery is an earth redan approximately 400 yards from Battery LeRoy on the James Island Siege Line. The seven-gun battery is on the western portion of the line which runs from behind Secessionville on the east to Fort Pringle on the west. Battery Number 1 is about 15 feet high at the parapet with a powder magazine about 20 feet high. The right face is about 240 feet, the center face approximately 160 feet, and the left face 280 feet in length. Both the right and left faces were connected to an indented line continuing to the next battery. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82004787
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Underwater
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1863

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Description"

Related landmarks 

Sources