Battery Tynes

Stono River, James Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Battery Tynes, Ditch and Parapet

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Named after Sergeant Tynes, Lucas Battalion, Regular Artillery (killed on Morris Island 1863), Battery Tynes was constructed in 1863 to deny Union naval forces access to the upper Stono River. It also protected the bridge from James Island to Johnís Island. As an element of the western James Island defenses, Battery Tynes supplemented the capabilities of Fort Pemberton and prevented enfilading fire into nearby Fort Pringle. The battery is an earthen redan overlooking the Stono River at Newtown Creek, and has a combined face length of approximately 320 feet and a total depth of approximately 180 feet. The parapet base is approximately 20 feet with a stepped parapet height of 10 to 20 feet. The magazine and bombproof is approximately 15 feet high. Battery Tynes features five gun emplacements, although only four artillery pieces were mounted at the time of capture. It is covered with a heavy growth of trees and vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82004789
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Unoccupied land
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1863

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Related landmarks 

Sources