Fort Trenholm

Also known as: Battery Trenholm
John's Island Airport, John's Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Fort Trenholm, Interior-Magazine

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Fort Trenholm was built in late 1864 and named for George A. Trenholm, a Charleston cotton factor, blockade runner, and secretary of the treasury for the Confederacy. The fort was designed to strengthen the batteries controlling the Stono River, particularly Fort Pringle. Additionally, Fort Trenholm was sited to prevent a flanking movement of the James Island batteries by a land force on Johnís Island. An important western perimeter defense, Fort Trenholm mounted fourteen heavy cannons on capture. The fort is a large bastioned earth fortification and is basically three-sided with the northern exposure open to the marsh. The eastern face, which plays on the Stono River, covers a distance of 870 feet with the main river battery about 375 feet of this distance. The southern face is about 780 feet long with large lunettes at both the southeast and southwest corners. The western face is approximately 885 feet long. The parapet is about 45 feet thick at the base and about 15 feet in height. It has emplacements for 17 guns. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1982
Reference number
82004791
Areas of significance
Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Underwater
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1864

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description"

Related landmarks 

Sources