Oatman Filling Station

102 Ferry St., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

House style filling station, popular in the 1930, operated until 1996

Photos 

Front Elevation

The building has been sided and is now the office of a service business.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Oatman Filling Station represents the sole intact pre-1940 gas station in Eau Claire that was constructed to serve the growing number of automobiles in the City. Many such buildings were constructed across the county between 1920 and 1935, but few exist today.

"This “house type” station was typically located within residential neighborhoods and was designed to better blend in with the aesthetics of the neighborhood. They were typically designed to reflect the popular residential architectural styles of the period. This design changed in the mid-1930s as the oil companies started designing their stations in an “oblong box” configuration to gain greater visibility and functionality for automotive repairs."

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 16, 2001
Reference number
00001669
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1931

Update Log 

  • July 22, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources