589 Main St., Torrington, Connecticut
Classic-style diner, with steel construction, a distinctive barrel roof, marble countertop, 17 stools
Skee's Diner in 1980
Courtesy Skee's Diner website
+41.81250, -73.1213141°48'45" N, 73°07'17" W
The diner has been moved to an undisclosed location pending restoration.
Manufactured by Jerry O'Mahony, Inc., Dining Car Builders, of Elizabeth, NJ as #562 in the late 1920's and shipped to somewhere in the Saybrook CT area. Moved to Torrington in late 1945 and opened as Skee's Diner in February 1946. The diner closed for the last time in 2001. Restoration has been ongoing, and a new location has not been chosen.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2002
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; Diner
- Areas of significance
- Architecture; Commerce
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- Significant year
- May 27, 2016: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added Tag: Diner
- May 25, 2016: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added description, historical photo, and website URL
- May 15, 2015: Updated by Chester Gehman: Updated status: moved pending restoration.
- April 19, 2015: Updated by Chester Gehman: Has been demolished.
- January 30, 2011: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger