F.W. Scheper Store

918 8th St., Port Royal, South Carolina

Photo 

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Located in the heart of the commercial district of Port Royal, the store served the community of Port Royal from its construction by German immigrant F.W. Scheper in 1885 until the store closed for business in 1950. The store is one of the last remaining nineteenth century commercial buildings in Port Royal and is a vivid reminder of the town’s early history and brief period of economic prosperity in the 1870s through the 1890s. A ship chandler, Scheper was a wholesale and retail grocer and a dealer in hay and grain. The store was located within short distance of the railroad terminus which was the debarkation point for the marines who arrived in Port Royal for transport to the growing naval and marine base on Parris Island. The store is a large two-story frame commercial building that is the focal point of historic downtown Port Royal. The largest historic commercial building remaining in the town, the store retains a good degree of physical integrity. A one-story addition at the southeast corner of the building was constructed between 1905 and 1912; it served as the Port Royal post office. Listed in the National Register June 22, 2004. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 2004
Reference number
04000652
NR name
Scheper, F.W., Store
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Department store
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2019: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View" & "Description"
  • June 17, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources