Drummond Business Block

409-417 Galloway St., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The two-story Drummond Business Block consists of three buildings constructed between 1879 and 1884, but includes four storefronts. In 1910, the owners unified the appearance of the buildings by adding a pressed metal cornice and a brick veneer, covering the old fašade.

"This block is associated with several historic manufacturing, wholesale, and retail businesses, including most notably the Drummond Packing Company, Eau Claire Grocer Company, and the Farmers Store Company.

"Born in Canada, David Drummond settled in Eau Claire in 1870 and soon after his arrival entered into the meat packing business. Additionally, Drummond was one of the founders of the Eau Claire Gas Light Company, and his business interests later expanded to include real estate development and furniture manufacturing."

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 10, 2007
Reference number
07001084
Architectural style
American Movement
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Business; Specialty store; Warehouse
Current functions
Specialty store; Restaurant; Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1910
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • July 20, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos
  • March 28, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Data

Sources