Union Auto Company

Also known as: Acoustic Cafe
505 S. Barstow St., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

20th Century Commercial Architecture, Building used in auto business until 1977

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

According to the Wisconsin Historical Society, the building was constructed for the auto industry and used that way until 1977. The building had a capacity of 175 automobiles and a large elevator (extant) was used to store autos on the second floor.

Today, the second floor is divided into apartments. The first floor houses a popular music venue and a church.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 11, 2007
Reference number
07001085
Architectural style
American Movement: Early Commercial
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Specialty store
Current functions
Restaurant; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1917

Update Log 

  • July 22, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos
  • March 28, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Data

Sources