Wright's Tavern

Lexington Rd. opposite the Burying Ground, Concord, Massachusetts

Photos 

Wright Tavern

1. FRONT AND SIDE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Traditionally believed to have been built in 1747, this structure has two later additions to the north and west. Its first owner was Ephraim Jones, a captain in the militia, from whom Amos Wright took over the tavern in 1751 and ran it during its most notable associations: committees and members of the Provincial Congress, which met in 1774, were housed in the tavern; and on April 19th, 1775, it was occupied by both Minute Men and the British Expeditionary Force. It is currently owned by the First Parish Church of Concord. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MA-553)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000793
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Restaurant
Current functions
Business; Specialty store
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1747; 1774; 1775

Update Log 

  • March 3, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources