Phelps Dodge General Office Building

Copper Queen Plaza, intersection of Main St. and Brewery Gulch, Bisbee, Arizona

Photo 

By Jlahorn - Own work, Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From 1896 to 1961, this building served as the headquarters of this mining company and is the only important early Phelps Dodge office existing in the U.S. This structure symbolizes the company's pioneer role in western copper mining, as well as its growth and adaptation from a family-owned East Coast mercantile house of the 1830s into a modern corporation. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 4, 1983

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 3, 1971
Reference number
71000109
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Business
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant year
1895

Update Log 

  • June 14, 2018: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • June 26, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources