McCrady's Tavern and Long Room

Also known as: Eude's Tavern, French Coffee House
153 E. Bay St., Charleston, South Carolina


McCrady's Tavern and Long Room, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The Long Room of McCrady’s Tavern is an increasingly rare architectural and functional structure. Though there were several prominent taverns with long rooms in Charleston during and after the Revolution, McCrady’s is the only surviving one. This rectangular brick building is first mentioned in a plat and deed dated June 1767, and was acquired by Edward McCrady, barber of Charleston, in August 1778 and operated as a tavern from that date until the first third of the 20th century. Between 1778 and 1788 three separate purchases of adjacent properties by McCrady allowed him to construct a long room behind the tavern with additional access provided by nearby Unity Alley. McCrady was an active member of the Revolutionary militia of Charleston. He and several other army and militia leaders were exiled from Charleston after its fall in 1780 and imprisoned in St. Augustine until 1781. On Wednesday, May 4, 1791 in the Long Room of McCrady’s Tavern, the Society of Cincinnati entertained President George Washington with a banquet. Also present were the Governor of South Carolina, Lieutenant Governor and Civil Officers of the State, the Mayor and Aldermen of Charleston, and members of Congress and other dignitaries in President Washington’s traveling party. Described in a survey of 1801 as having three stories, garrets, brick cellar, and slate roof, the building was damaged by fire in the early 20th century and the front façade altered to its present appearance. Listed in the National Register September 14, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 14, 1972
Reference number
Areas of significance
Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1767

Update Log 

  • January 26, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller