Canal House

111 E. 4th St., Connersville, Indiana

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer January 1975 GENERAL VIEW FROM NORTHEAST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Canal House was built in 1843 for the Whitewater Valley Canal Company as an office building while the Canal Company completed construction of Indiana's Whitewater Canal. The structure has subsequently served as a bank, veterinary hospital, and the private residence of one of Connorsville's mayors. The structure was acquired by Historic Connersville, Inc. in 1971; this preservation group restored the structure for use as a museum. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1973
Reference number
73000016
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Transportation; Architecture
Levels of significance
State; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Business
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1842; 1853

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources