Market Hall and Sheds

Also known as: The City Market, The Centre Market
188 Meeting St., Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

Market Hall

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Built in 1841, is the headhouse of the Charleston Public Market. The site, a reclaimed creek and marsh, was donated by the Pinckney family to the city, with the stipulation that the property revert to the family if used for any other purpose. The original building, constructed between 1788-1807, burned in 1838. The present Roman Revival style Market Hall, was designed by Edward Brickell White (1806-82), a civil engineer, architect, and surveyor from Charleston. The second floor contained a large assembly room, while the stalls at street level served as a meat market... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS SC-135)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1973
Reference number
73001689
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Department store; Specialty store
Current functions
Museum; Department store; Specialty store
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1841
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • January 26, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 6, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources