American Federation of Labor Building

901 Massachusetts Ave., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

On July 4, 1916, at a site where a fine old mansion with a slave pen in the rear had once stood, the American Federation of Labor dedicated its new international headquarters (1916-1956). President Woodrow Wilson delivered the chief address. The imposing seven story brick and limestone building served to symbolize the Federation's growth from, in the words of its founder, Samuel Gompers, "a weakling into the strongest, best organized labor movement of all the world." Not open to the public. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 30, 1974

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 13, 1974
Reference number
74002154
Architectural styles
American Movement; Other architectural type; Sullivanesque
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Professional
Current function
Professional
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1916; 1956