Ott's Assay Office

Also known as: South Yuba Canal Office
130 Main St., Nevada City, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"SOUTH YUBA CANAL OFFICE - This was the headquarters for the largest network of water flumes and ditches in the state. The South Yuba Canal Water Company was the first incorporated to supply water for hydraulic mining. The original ditch was in use in May 1850, and this company office was in use from 1857 to 1880. The company's holdings later became part of the vast PG&E hydroelectric system." - California Historic Landmark No.832

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 14, 1975
Reference number
75000447
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Professional; Specialty store
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
1855; 1863; 1880
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • November 6, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources