City of Paris Building

181-199 Geary St., San Francisco, California


City of Paris

Photo from Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record, Library of Congress



Street View 

Historic significance: 

The building was one of the earliest examples in San Francisco of a large commercial structure designed in the Beaux-Arts style, using steel framing and masonry wall infill for its basic structure. It was burnt out and partially destroyed by the earthquake and fire of April 1906, and was reconstructed. Two institutions important to the history and development of the City occupied it from 1896 to 1906: The Spring Valley Water Company and the City of Paris Dry Goods Company. From 1909, the City of Paris Dry Goods Company was the principal (later the sole) tenant.


Written by Carol

This building no longer exists. It was demolished in 1981 and replaced by new construction for a Neiman Marcus store. Although the building itself is gone, the newer structure did save the rotunda and the stained glass ceiling from the City of Paris building.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 23, 1975
Reference number
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Department store; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1896; 1906

Update Log 

  • January 16, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • November 18, 2011: New photo from Carol
  • November 12, 2011: Essay added by Carol