W. J. Hughes Business House

Also known as: Wlison,C.J.,Store
3202 Ocoee St., Cleveland, Tennessee

Photos 

W. J. Hughes Business House

1. NORTHWEST FRONT, FROM WEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

This building represents seventy years of Cleveland's commercial growth, from 1840 to 1910. Its architecture is representative of the many local embellishments of its day, due mostly to the civic pride and leadership of J.H. Craigmiles. It is also representative of many such commercial buildings still found in country towns in this and neighboring states. It has been the location of the following Cleveland business establishments: W.H. Tibbs, Tibbs and Surguine, Hughes and Tibbs, W.J. Hughes, (all dry goods, hardware, and grocery stores), Kelly and Cooper Saloon, and since 1909, C.J. and J.L. Wilson Dry Goods (Clothing Store). It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TN-204)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 1975
Reference number
75001735
NR name
Hughes, W. J., Business House
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Restaurant; Specialty store
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1845; 1880

Sources