Isaiah Garrett Law Office

Also known as: Little Red Brick House
520 S. Grand St., Monroe, Louisiana

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Isaiah Garrett Law Office is situated on the site of a Spanish land grant awarded to Don Juan Filhoil, a French colonizer, in 1785. Filhoil sold the property in 1792 to Hippolyte Pargoud. It was acquired by C.H. Dabbs in 1836, sold to Samuel Kirby who built the present brick structure circa 1840, and bought by Isaiah Garrett in 1842. Garrett, a West Point graduate, used the building as a law office. Current owner is the City of Monroe. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS LA-1252)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 12, 1976
Reference number
76000972
NR name
Garrett, Isaiah, Law Office
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Professional
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1840

Update Log 

  • July 29, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources