Administration Building, Atascadero Colony

Also known as: Veterans' Memorial Building
6500 Palma Ave., Atascadero, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"ADMINISTRATION AND VETERAN'S MEMORIAL BUILDING - This building, dedicated in 1914 and completed in 1918, was the headquarters for the Atascadero Colony, a model community envisioned by Edward G. Lewis. Designed by Walter D. Bliss of San Francisco and built of reinforced concrete and locally produced brick, it had also served as a private school for boys, a veteran's memorial building, and county offices. It is currently the seat of municipal government." - California Historic Landmark No.958

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 17, 1977
Reference number
77000336
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance; Italian Renaissance
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Commerce; Exploration/Settlement; Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Government office
Current function
Government office
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1914; 1924

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • March 2, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources