Miner's Supply Store

Also known as: Wood,Enoch,and Sons,Hardware Store
Main and 2nd Sts., Coalton, Ohio

Photos 

Photo taken by Donald K. O'Brien

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

History 

Federal Writers Project

"The National Cash Register Company was founded by John H. Patterson in Dayton, Ohio. Patterson (1844-1922), hoping the machines could save him money by reducing accounting errors in his supply business, purchased the patent rights to the cash register from James Ritty in 1884. Within six months, he reduced his debt and showed a profit. Patterson built the first National Cash Register factory on his family's farm in Dayton in 1888. By the turn of the century, the company had become one of the largest employers in Dayton. Known for his strict training program for salespeople and health and education programs for employees, Patterson was closely involved in the daily lives of many of his workers."

Creator Ohio Federal Writers' Project

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 1, 1977
Reference number
77001069
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Architecture; Invention
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Department store
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1880

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • February 24, 2012: Essay added by Donald K. O'Brien
  • February 23, 2012: New photos from Donald K. O'Brien

Sources