Sears, Roebuck and Company Complex

925 S. Homan Ave., Chicago, Illinois

Photos 

Sears Roebuck & Company Mail Order Plant, Bounded by Lexington & Grenshaw Streets

1. GARDEN, ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, AND MERCHANDISE BUILDING, VIEW TO SOUTHWEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Merchandise Building was one of the first buildings completed for the Mail Order Plant in 1905-1906. It was designed by the nationally-known architectural firm of Nimmons and Fellows, with additions designed by successor firms George C. Nimmons & Co. and Nimmons & Co. The Merchandise Building was the largest building and housed the majority of the company's employees at the Mail Order Plant. In a bustling complex, the Merchandise Building was the center of activity. All incoming and outgoing goods passed through the Merchandise Building. All of the other building at the site provided support administration, manufacturing, and other support functions. The Mail Order Plant and its central Merchandise Building have been described as "a hug, finely tuned machine for receiving and holding merchandise and for filing and shipping orders," -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IL-1187)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 2, 1978
Reference number
78001129
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Warehouse; Business
Current function
Business
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1905
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources