Fasbender Clinic Building

Also known as: Kugler-Thibodo Dental Offices, Edward Jones Investments
801 Pine St., Hastings, Minnesota

Frank Lloyed Wright designed professional office building

Photos 

Overview Looking Southeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for Dr. Fasbender, Jr. and was built in 1959, one of thirteen FLW designs in Minnesota. Completed two months after Wright's death, it is from Wright's "inward house period" and uses polygonal shapes with a sloped copper roof that almost reaches the ground.

Ordinarily, buildings less than 50 years in age are not considered for inclusion on the NRHP, but this structure was placed on the register in 1979 due to FLW's influence and concerns the building was in danger by expansion of Minnesota 55.

Dr. Fasbender, Sr. began his medical practice in Hastings in 1921 and also served as alderman and mayor. Dr. Fasbender, Jr. commissioned FLW to design this building. He outgrew it and sold the building in 1966 and it became a dental clinic. Today it is owned by and operated as Edward Jones Investments.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1979
Reference number
79001228
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Medical business/office
Current function
Medical business/office
Period of significance
1950-1974
Significant year
1959

Update Log 

  • August 2, 2019: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • August 2, 2019: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, corrected GPS coordinates, added description, and added photos
  • August 2, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources