B. B. Kirkland Seed and Distributing Company

Also known as: Hinson Feed and Seed Company
912 Lady St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

B. B. Kirkland Seed and Distributing Company, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Tradition indicates that the Hinson Feed and Seed Store is located on the site of an early campground used by farmers when they brought their produce to the farmerís market on Assembly Street. The campground was located on the site because of three natural springs in the area; one of these natural springs is still located in the basement. The building itself was constructed by B. B. Kirkland to serve the Kirkland Distributing Company, a firm which dealt in flour, grain and hay. It later housed a variety of businesses until 1966 when it became Hinson Feed and Seed Company, which also operated the Columbia Hatchery. Typical of the best commercial structures constructed in the warehouse and distributing area near Assembly Street, this building was built circa 1916. The brick structure has three stories built over a full basement. It features a flat roof, stringcourses that delineate the three floors, decorative marble and stone insets and arched windows on the first and third floors. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003370
NR name
Kirkland, B. B., Seed and Distributing Company
Architectural style
American Movement: Early Commercial
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Warehouse
Current function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1916

Update Log 

  • October 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources