1644 Main Street

Also known as: Tapp`s Department Store
1644 Main St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

1644 Main St., Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Tapp’s represents one of Columbia’s most significant large-scale private building projects from the Depression era that remains relatively unaltered. The white stucco and dark tremolite stone facade is characteristic of the most up-to-date modern style in 1940, the building’s date of construction. The building has little ornamentation except vertical bands of windows, a clock face and a sign with a large freestanding letters. Added onto about 1950, the additional two floors are also of white stucco over concrete. As the only example of “Depression Modern” on Main Street, the building contributes to the continuum of architectural styles on the street. The central section originally extended higher than the two flanking sections; with the ca. 1950 additions, however, the roofline was made uniform. The original roofline is still discernible in stucco. E. Paul Behles of New York City designed the interior and acted as consulting architect to Lafaye, Lafaye, and Fair of Columbia for the design of the exterior. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003377
NR name
Building at 1644 Main Street
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Depression Modern
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Department store
Current function
Department store
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant years
1940; 1950

Update Log 

  • October 7, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources