Kilbourne Commercial Building

Also known as: Sign of the Sun, Times Two, Bib & Tucker, Kilbourn House
679-681 High St., Worthington, Ohio

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

James Kilbourne was a successful businessman and a rather prolific father. Kilbourne's daughter and her husband ran a hotel just south of this location. Son Byron went west and was the founder of Kilbournetown, one of the cities that merged to form the City of Milwaukee. Byron Kilbourne, like his father, was a successful entrepreneur and was president of a railroad. Kilbourne City, Wisconsin was renamed Wisconsin Dells in 1931.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1980
Reference number
80003010
NR name
Kilbourn Commercial Building
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Restaurant; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Specialty store
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant years
1808; 1845
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Tags 

19th Century (36,417)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1808 (68)
Built during 1800s (1,259)
Commercial building (5,426)
Federal (4,565)
Franklin County, Ohio (361)
James Kilbourn (1)
Ohio (5,072)
Private owner (54,396)
Stone (26,162)
Worthington MRA (26)
Worthington, Ohio (29)

Update Log 

  • August 28, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources