Jacoby Building

Also known as: Jacoby's Storehouse, Brizard Building
791 8th St., Arcata, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"JACOBY BUILDING - The basement and first story of this building were constructed in 1857 for Agustus Jacoby, and housed various mercantile firms during its early years as a principal supply point for the Klamath-Trinity mining camp trade. It served occasionally as a refuge in time of the Indian troubles from 1858 through 1864. It was acquired by A. Brizard in 1880." - California Historic Landmark No.783

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 17, 1982
Reference number
82002179
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Professional; Hotel; Warehouse
Current functions
Professional; Specialty store; Restaurant
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1857; 1880; 1907

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • October 24, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources