Gruwell and Crew General Store
Also known as: West Branch Heritage Museum109 W. Main St., West Branch, Iowa
South (Front) Elevation
The museum is currently (as of this visit) closed for renovations and repairs.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2013
+41.67121, -91.3456841°40'16" N, 91°20'44" W
Quadrangle map:West Branch
Heritage Museum, 109 West Main Street
As it Appears on a sign in the window
This wood-frame building is one of four storefronts that remain as reminders of the early commercial era in downtown West Branch. It was constructed in 1894 by two prominent businessman: Mayor S.C. Gruwell and J.C. Crew, a dry good store owner.
Originally leased for a music store, it underwent several changes of ownership and commercial uses. In 1960 it was sold to a local physician, Dr. R.G. Stuelke, who leased it for use as a variety store.
Eventually deeded to the West Branch Heritage Foundation to house a museum, it retained most of its original features. The exception was the front steps that were added during the 1964-65 museum conversion.
The storefront was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987 as an example of a well-preserved small town commercial structure.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 9, 1982
- Reference number
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic function
- Specialty store
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant year
- August 14, 2013: Essay added by J.R. Manning