Mellett-Canton Daily News Building

Also known as: The Mellett Building
401 W. Tuscarawas St., Canton, Ohio

Former newspaper building now serving as a professional office building

Photos 

Tarawas Street Elevation

The building was later dedicated to the memory of Donald Mellett, publisher of the Canton Daily news, after his death in 1926.

Donald Mellett was the victim of assassinís bullets on July 16, 1926. He was fighting corruption and underworld control of the Canton Police Department and earned a Pulitzer Prize for his efforts.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning August 2018

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 21, 1983
Reference number
83002058
Architectural style
American Movement: Early Commercial
Areas of significance
Communications; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Communications facility
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1912

Tags 

20th Century (29,077)
American Movement (6,254)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1912 (916)
Built during 1910s (8,493)
Canton, Ohio (39)
Commercial building (5,535)
Early Commercial (952)
Ohio (5,106)
Private owner (54,396)
Stark County, Ohio (111)
Terra cotta (3,922)

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources