James Harman Building

Also known as: Roger's Professional Building, Classification Building
Gantt St., Lexington, South Carolina

Photo 

James Harman Building, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The James Harman Building was constructed for Dr. James Harman (1845-1928), a Lexington dentist, by U.U. Campbell, a Georgia contractor. It is important as an unaltered turn-of-the-century architectural specimen and as one of five commercial buildings that survived the 1916 fire. It is also a local landmark associated with the professional community because of its continuous use since its construction as offices for local lawyers, physicians and dentists. Constructed ca. 1901, the James Harman Building is a two-story, rectangular, brick building with a flat parapet on the fašade and a stepped parapet with chimneys on each side elevation. The fašade features a corbeled cornice and wall pilasters of brick, and has three bays on each story. The first story bays consist of a double door with semicircular transom flanked by six-over-six windows. The bays on each story are unified by connecting round arches of projecting brick courses. Four single six-over-six windows with flat arches on both stories pierce the side elevations in vertical alignment. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 22, 1983
Reference number
83003903
NR name
Harman, James, Building
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Professional
Current function
Professional
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1901

Update Log 

  • July 6, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • September 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 24, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources