Indianapolis News Building

Also known as: Goodman Jewelers Building
30 W. Washington St., Indianapolis, Indiana

Photos 

Indianapolis News Mechanical Building

1. VIEW NORTHEAST OF SOUTH AND WEST FACADES

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Indianapolis News Mechanical Building was constructed in 1896 and enlarged with the addition of the two top floors sometime between 1909 and 1913. The Indianapolis architectural firm of R.P. Daggett and Company designed the original 1896 building. The building is significant for its architectural, commercial, and communications/newspapers association with the Indianapolis News Company founded in 1869 and for its physical location adjacent to the Indianapolis News Building of 1909-10 listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1984. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IN-222)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1984
Reference number
84001133
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Neo-Gothic
Areas of significance
Architecture; Communications
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Business
Current function
Business
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1909; 1910

Update Log 

  • November 28, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • June 22, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc

Sources