Rink's Womens Apparel Store

29 N. Illinois St., Indianapolis, Indiana

Photos 

Rink's Cloak House Building (Commercial)

View southeast, first bloock of North Illinois Street

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Rink's Cloak House Building was constructed in 1910 for Joseph A. Rink, who founded the store twelve years earlier. The store operated in this six-story building until 1940, when it was remodeled for use as a "five and dime" department store until the 1970s. Indianapolis architect Adolf Scherrer utilized Chicago School fenestration and classical detailing in the design of main facade. The building was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 27, 1984. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS IN-217)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 27, 1984
Reference number
84001188
Architectural style
American Movement: Chicago
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1910

Update Log 

  • November 28, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • June 22, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc

Related landmarks 

Sources