Lindauer and Rupert Block

Also known as: Heritage Mall, Elk's Club Lodge
137-141 E. 2nd St., Kaukauna, Wisconsin

Downtown Kaukauna Retail Commercial Building

Photos 

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Most of the [Kaukauna commercial] buildings were constructed by owners or local contractors. Commercial buildings often displayed the names of these owners as well as the dates of construction.

"The Lindauer-Rupert Block ("Lindauer" appears on the building) 137-141 E. Second St., was built in 1895 by Luther Lindauer and his partner Rupert. Lindauer concomitantly owned the Kaukauna Stone Company and the Kaukauna Brick Yard. Materials from these places were used to construct the building."

~ From the "National Register of Historic Places Nomination Inventory" dated February 1984.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 1984
Reference number
84003763
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Clubhouse; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1895; 1933

Update Log 

  • May 9, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources