Woodside Store

Also known as: Tripp Store
471 Kings Mountain Rd., Woodside, California

Photos 

Woodside Store

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built for Mathias Parkhurst and Robert Tripp as a general store, post office, dental office, saloon, and after 1859 a library, this store was operated by Tripp until his death in 1909 at the age of 93. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS CA-2146)

"WOODSIDE STORE - Built in 1854 among sawmills and redwood groves by Dr. R. O. Tripp and M. A. Parkhurst, the store was operated by Dr. Tripp (who also served as dentist, librarian, postmaster, and community leader) until his death in 1909. It was purchased by the County of San Mateo in 1940 and opened as a public museum on September 7, 1947." - California Historic Landmark No.93

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 18, 1985
Reference number
85001563
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Health/Medicine; Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Department store
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1854
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • February 2, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources