Bailey's Store

On Store Creek at jct. of SC 174 and Point of Pines Rd., Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Bailey's Store, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Bailey’s Store has significance as one of the last, if not the last, surviving commercial buildings on Edisto Island from the nineteenth century. It is thought that this building was built before 1825 on Edingsville Beach, a popular antebellum seaside resort off Edisto Island, and moved to its present location ca. 1870, in reaction to that beach’s abandonment during the Civil War. Thus, it is one of very few pre-war relics from Edingsville, for all remaining structures were swept into the ocean in the hurricane of 1893. The building was moved in two parts to Store Creek, and placed together again, to be used in connection with a gin house already on that location. Bailey’s Store is a two-story, weatherboard clad, rectangular, side gabled roof building which at one time faced 180 degrees in the opposite direction, but when Highway 174 was moved in about 1940 was turned around. For many years the Edisto Island Post Office was located in a one-story shed roof addition on the south elevation, which has recently been removed. A hipped roof covering extends from the western elevation, suspended over the front door. The fenestration of the façade is asymmetrical and is composed of three bays on the first story and five bays on the second story. There is also a one-story, hipped roof addition at the rear. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1986
Reference number
86003204
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Department store
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1825; 1870; 1907

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 9, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources