King, L. B. and Co. Building

Also known as: Annis Furs Building
1274 Library, Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

March 2013

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: L. B. King and Company Building

L. B. King and Company headquartered here from 1911 to 1932, and Annis Furs occupied the building from 1932 and 1983. Constructed in 1911 to the designs of James S. Rogers and Walter MacFarlane, it exemplifies the Chicago commercial style popular in the early twentieth century. The building features a steel frame, terra-cotta skin, three-part vertical division and banks of "Chicago windows." It incorporates classical decorative elements in the cornice and the window details.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 12, 1987
Reference number
87000927
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Specialty store
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1910; 1935

Update Log 

  • April 14, 2013: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 30, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources