The Corner Packing Shed

US Hwy. 21, W of jct. with Land's End Rd., Frogmore, South Carolina

Photo 

The Corner Packing Shed

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This building is significant both for its association with truck farming and as an intact and unusual example of early twentieth century vernacular architecture. It was built ca. 1930 as a vegetable packing shed for use by truck farmers. Truck farming became the dominant form of agriculture on the island after the boll weevil doomed sea island cotton as a viable crop. It was greatly aided by the increased accessibility of St. Helena Island after the opening of the bridge from Beaufort to Ladys Island in 1927. This packing shed is located near The Corner, the social and commercial center of the island. It is the only known extant property associated with the early days of truck farming on St. Helena. The building itself is a long, open frame building with a metal gable roof. The roof shelters an enclosed attic storage area. Loading docks, sheltered by shed roofs, extend along each long side of the rectangular building. An enclosed office area is at one end of the building. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 6, 1988
Reference number
88001733
NR name
Corner Packing Shed, The
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Processing
Current function
Processing
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1930

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2019: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources