Missoula Laundry Company

Also known as: Missoula Textile Services
111 E. Spruce St., Missoula, Montana

Photo 

By Djembayz - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30525938

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"In 1915, Nettie and Joseph Hagen expanded their Model Laundry Company by purchasing the Missoula Laundry Company and moving their business into the newly completed west section of this building. That original structure and its later additions represent three different commercial architectural styles. Built during the construction boom that followed the advent of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad in Missoula, the first of the laundry’s three parts features the crenelated roof and ornamental brickwork of a vernacular style. In 1928 and 1929, architect H. Elmer Kirkemo, then associated with the distinguished Missoula firm of Gibson and Bakke, designed the two stylistically sophisticated, pre-Depression era additions. The central portion dominates, with its terra cotta parapet, window sills, and detailing providing one of Missoula’s best examples of the mature Art Deco style. The final addition on the east end reflects the Western commercial style and features a concrete cornice and pilasters that echo the styling of the center section. The Hagens sold their business in 1947 to nephews Larry, Herman, and Karl Topel, and it has since remained in the Topel family. The old-fashioned advertising signs painted directly on the brick speak to a bygone era, reminding customers of long-standing service." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 30, 1990
Reference number
90000651
Architectural style
Modern Movement: Art Deco
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Business
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1900-1924
Significant years
1915; 1928; 1929

Update Log 

  • January 27, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 15, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources