Lucy Building

Also known as: Wyckman's
330 N. Higgins Ave., Missoula, Montana

Photo 

By Jon Roanhaus - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=64655424

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"John M. Lucy’s furniture store and undertaking business was twenty years old when he had this building constructed for it in 1909. By then, the Irish immigrant (who had arrived in Montana as a workhand building the final leg of the Northern Pacific Railroad) had been joined in business by his sons John J. and Abbott. Their family firm continued to own the Lucy Building until 1963. The structure was designed by Missoula’s premier architect of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, A. J. Gibson. It is one of the best examples of his commercial design, as well as an emblem of Missoula’s second major period of post-railroad economic development and growth. The building’s original features include brick patterned quoined corners and polychromed belt courses above and below the upstairs windows. Its most outstanding original feature is the projecting welded metal cornice, with molded fascia and modillions and dentils." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 30, 1990
Reference number
90000656
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Western Commercial
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Business
Current function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1909

Update Log 

  • January 27, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 15, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources