Hubbard--Cotton Store

Maple St., Hiram, Maine

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Hubbard Cotton Store is a visually distinctive commercial façade in the village center of Hiram on the Route 113 corridor. Located between the Saco River and Mt. Cutler , this c.1850 Greek Revival structure was originally a supply store for the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroads in the 1880’s. Owned and operated by the Cotton family for over 100 years, the building has served the community as country store, County Registrar of Records, post office, and eatery for the Town of Hiram . It was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990, and purchased by a private owner in late 2005 after being condemned and slated for demolition. Currently, the Hubbard Cotton Store is undergoing a significant renovation to bring back the general store and eatery, and adapt the upper floors to a Bed and Breakfast which was recently approved by Hiram Planning Board.

http://mainepreservation.org/programs-events/most-endangered-historic-properties/2007-maines-endangered-historic-resources

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 14, 1990
Reference number
90000923
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Department store
Current function
Department store
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1850

Update Log 

  • December 12, 2014: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Corrected location

Sources