Ohio and Erie Canal
OH 631, Valley View, Ohio
A four mile section of the canal that connects the Ohio River & Lake Erie.
Ohio & Erie Canal, Lock No. 37
1. MAP OF THE OHIO CANAL, INCLUDING LOCK #37 (14 MILE LOCK). MADE UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS, DECEMBER 1912. SCALE 80'=1'. PROPERTY OF AMERICAN STEEL AND WIRE COMPANY, CLEVELAND, OHIO.
Photo from the Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
+41.37054, -81.6159541°22'14" N, 81°36'57" W
The Ohio and Erie Canal, linking Lake Erie at Cleveland with the Ohio River at Portsmouth, Ohio, was completed in 1832. The 308-mile inland waterway laid the foundation for Ohio's agricultural, industrial, commercial, and political growth. That section of canal between Akron and Cleveland was the first to open in 1827 there, the rapid drop in elevation -- nearly 400 feet in 38 miles -- required the construction of 44 locks. The structures documented in this report are among the best preserved. Today, the Ohio and Erie Canal forms the principal historical feature of the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area.
-- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER OH-59)
This section contains locks 37, 38, & 39, a mill at lock 37, an aqueduct over Tinkers Creek, and an inn at lock 38. These were given their own separate National Register listings in 1979.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 13, 1966
- Reference number
- Areas of significance
- Industry; Commerce
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Water-related; Water works
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1825-1849
- Significant years
- 1825; 1860
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing structures: 7
- September 17, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
- May 29, 2014: Updated by Jim Allen: Added to description