Landsford Canal

Off US 21, Rowell, South Carolina

Photos 

Landsford Canal Upper Locks

Photo taken by Michael Miller on April 24, 2016

Map 

Description 

Historically, the Landsford Canal, completed about 1823, was an important transportation link for about fifteen years. The immediate area was involved in military movement from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War. The canal remains as the only canal existing in its entirety without encroachment in the state. The Canal parallels a two-mile section of the Catawba River. As part of the inland navigation system from the Up Country to Charleston, a series of Catawba canals were begun in 1819 and completed several years later. Landsford Canal, the highest in the system, was built by engineer Leckie. Within this section, the River falls thirty-four feet. The Canal consists of three sets of locks, a mill site, miller’s house, and a lockkeeper’s house—all in various forms of decay and ruins. The tract, including an aboriginal ford, was granted to Thomas Land in 1754, thus the derivation of its name. Listed in the National Register December 3, 1969. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 3, 1969
Reference number
69000163
Areas of significance
Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military; Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1832
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • April 26, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 30, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources