Delaware Division of the Pennsylvania Canal

Also known as: Delaware Canal
Parallels west bank of the Delaware River from Easton to Bristol

Navigation canal from Easton to Bristol, 60 miles, with 23 lift locks. Closed in December, 1931.

Photos 

DD 06

Canal Entrance, Easton

Photo taken by Chester Gehman July 6, 1979

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The primary significance of this Landmark is the integrity of the canal itself and the ambience of its environment. While most of the 19th century canals in the United States have disappeared, the Delaware Canal remains intact, with all of its engineering and operational structures, for all but two to three miles of its original sixty mile length. Completed in the early 1830s, it was part of the state's extensive early 19th century canal system, and its particular purpose was to transport anthracite coal mined in the Lehigh Valley to markets throughout Pennsylvania and New York. When the canal was returned to the state by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company in 1931, Pennsylvania developed it as a state park. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 8, 1976

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1974
Reference number
74001756
Areas of significance
Communications; Transportation; Engineering; Conservation
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Business; Secondary structure; Water works; Water-related
Current functions
Secondary structure; Water-related; Water works; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1825-1849
Significant years
1831; 1931
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 36
Contributing structures: 140

Update Log 

  • January 3, 2021: New photos from Chester Gehman

Sources