Buckman Tavern

Also known as: Lexington Historical Society
1 Bedford St., Lexington, Massachusetts

Photos 

Buckman Tavern

4. Historic American Buildings Survey Frank O. Branzetti, Photographer April 7, 1941 (a) EXT.- FRONT & SIDE, LOOKING NORTHEAST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The earliest portion of this structure, built by Benjamin Muzzy, traditionally dates to the late seventeenth century. Operated as a tavern by John Buckman in 1775, it served as a gathering place for the Lexington Minute Men on the evening of April 18 and the morning of April 19, 1775, prior the arrival of the British troops on the Lexington Green. The first village store and the first post office were located in this building. Presently owned by the town of Lexington, it is opened to the public as a museum by the Lexington Historical Society. The United States Department of the Interior designated it a "Registered Landmark" in 1961. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MA-547)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000137
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Hotel; Restaurant; Battle site
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1690; 1775
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing objects: 2

Update Log 

  • February 21, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources