San Luis de Apalache

Also known as: San Luis de Talimali
2 mi. W of Tallahassee, Tallahassee, Florida

Map 

Description 

San Luis de Talimali, known as San Luis de Apalache until 2003, was the administrative center for the Spanish Province of Apalache. It was abandoned when Great Britain began the destruction of the Spanish Florida missions in 1702. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000266
Areas of significance
Archeology - Aboriginal; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Battle site
Current function
Unoccupied land
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749
Significant years
1655; 1704